The program for the 2017 meeting of the Ancient Philosophy Society at Baylor University in Waco Texas is now available.
The Ancient Philosophy Society is fast approaching. We are very much looking forward to the conference. Here is some basic travel information.
- The conference hotel is the Waco Hilton. Most sessions will be held at the Hilton. Two evening sessions are on the Baylor Campus. Transportation will be provided to those events from the Hilton.
Here is the link to the hotel. You will need to make your reservations by April 5 to receive the conference rate.
There is a shuttle service from the airport to the Hilton and from the Hilton to the Airport. You can call this number to arrange pick up upon your arrival. 1-254-754-8484.
Uber is also available in Waco. Once you are in Waco, you will not need a car unless you plan on doing some sightseeing to surrounding areas.
- The Waco Hilton is in the heart of downtown Waco. There are many restaurants and bars within walking distance. If you are a Fixer Upper fan, you’ll be happy to know that the famous Silos are also near by. The award winning Balcones Distillery is also very close to the Hilton. Also plan to take advantage of the lovely Cameron Park on the banks of the Brazos River, which has numerous hike and bike, trails throughout.
Here is a link to a variety of venues in the downtown area.
I am working on a more thorough list of options that I think will suit the APS.
- The first session will start Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 9:00 AM and the conference will end after the Banquet on Saturday April 29, 2017. I suggest arriving Wednesday afternoon or evening. The conference rate is available that night as well.
- There is an airport in Waco. American services it. The code is ACT. Particularly if you are flying on another airline besides American, it may be cheaper to fly into Dallas (DFW) or Austin (AUS). Both are about two hours from Waco. However, you will need to rent a car if flying into either Dallas or Austin.
If you are interested in trying to share a rental car from either Dallas or Austin, please contact Jared_Brandt@baylor.edu. He will try to put people in contact with each other.
- April and early May is a lovely time to visit Texas and if your schedule allows, you might want to spend a couple of extra days looking at the wildflowers and exploring the surrounding areas. I will be gathering together some information about other destinations in the Central Texas Area.
- You will need to join APS for the year and register for the conference and the banquet if you would like to attend the banquet. The registration for the event is at https://www.pdcnet.org/wp/services/2017-aps/
- Please feel free to contact me at Anne_Marie_Schultz@baylor.eduwith any questions.
Professor of Philosophy
Director, Baylor Interdisciplinary Core
Local Arrangements Chair, APS